Register Gallery FAQForum Rules Members List Game Room Calendar Mark Forums Read
PB Legion

Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 AM

Contributing Member

PBL Feedback: 7 / 100%
Worklog - Project Sovjetmag

Some of you know a bit about this project, since i allready posted some pics here and there on AO. Here's the complete story and worklog for this mag. I am hoping to finish it before march 2008.

History

I have been shooting a mag since the summer of 2006. All the mags i own are special in their own way, and shoot great. But being a woodsball player, i wanted something that would fit the environment i play in perfectly, like a glove. I have been using a STD Xmag for most of the time out there, in different setups. But its weight and it being a rare gun made me want to have something else. The first plan was to buy a used tac one, and get a pair of emag lowers for it. Almost half a year later everything of the initial idea was scrapped, changed, and changed again.

The start

Geekwarrior was kind enough to sell his tac to me. This was somewhere in june 2007.

It's the older model, with wingless tac rail and older dye stickies. Not that it bothers me tho, i like this rail better than the short style rail. After getting this mag i've decided to drop the idea of getting Emag lowers, first because of the price of a used set, and second because i wanted to tinker around a bit with a pneumag setup. So i contacted Cyberave68 for a pneumag kit, Ordered some stuff from palmers, a few RPG parts from Rogue, and milled and modified some parts.

I've aquired the pneumag kit from Cyberave68, and a standard front bottle adapter for a classic rail, NIB. I've milled it so it would fit a RT style rail as a 15 degree front bottle adapter. At the time i didnt have the goods from Rogue and palmers, so i had to wait before installing the kit.

Here i have the kit installed, and functional. I've ran the LPR hose trough the intelli cable hole, and the palmers micro rock on the dye on/off.

Here's the setup i had in august 2007. I've played with it a couple of times, but the placement of the LPR wasnt all that great. I wanted it moved to the front bottle adapter which was possible because i've ULE-d the rail.

After this i could route the hose trough the rail, and the only thing left was to modify my front bottle adapter again, so i could place the LPR.

What i've done was i placed the whole rail together with the front bottle adaper on the milling machine, and made a hole in it perpendicular to the rail. It is a perfect 1/8 npt hole, checked with a caliber, and it sits flush with the rail.

I've milled a slot in the rail, so the fitting will fit in it, and the hose runs straight into the rail, meaning no hoses on the outside. The threaded hole in the rail is for mounting a modified X7- AK47 front grip. At this time i also dropped the initial idea of having it annoed into a black/green acid wash anno, and started with a sovjet theme, black with red accents.

Before i go on futhrer, let me explain the reason for this. I'm not a left-minded guy, or a communist. but somehow i've always had interest in the subject, maybe because the fall of the sovjet union and the warschaupact happened in my youth. An other reason would be that i've played my first biggames this year on a abandoned russian army base in Mahlwinkel, former eastern germany. It was a very overwhelming expierence to play in a environment that was a former base, and some parts of the base are off limits due to landmines to this day, and there's still alot of stuff there that reminds you of that era. All in all this made a great impression on me, but at the time i never thought of making a mag with a russian theme. At the second time i was there in september, i bought a russian star insigina from a guy that was selling army surplus there. After i got home i decided it would fit my red dot scope very well, and that was the moment my project went into another direction again.

Here's what it looked like in october. Still a pneumag, and ive aquired some red macro fittings from Hobbyhorse. The X7 front guard was cut and modified to fit the tac, and i've got some more sovjet star insignias from ebay.

To be continued...
Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 AM

Contributing Member

Also i did not like the standard stainless jewels found on the tac rail. So i've made these:

I was almost done with all the stuff i wanted to do, but then...

The plan changes again!

Yup. It so happened i got hold of a emag. The thing was beat up, 2.21 software, cracked led screen, previous owner charged it with a 24V power supply. Well atleast it worked.. I was planning to keep the pneu-tac, and make a etac. But after a few days i realised this would be stupid. I was planning to make a etac from the beginning, and i could always use the pneu parts on a other mag. <- that is common sence slapping the **** out of my gun whoring side...

Well after i changed the plan again, i've made a shopping list of all the parts i would need to get the emag frame up and running again. And some more.

- Xmod programmer
- New Led screen
- Magnets (the old ones are pretty much rusted away/damaged)
- New sear
- PTP battery pack
- New battery

I liked the emag style rail better than the wingless tac, so i've ULE milled this one too.

I've made some improvements on my first attempt, and it does look very clean. Also i've flashed the software on the emag frame, and swapped the tunablade out of my X, to fit this gun.

Here's a quick mockup of all the parts sofar.

More milling

I wanted a true custom gun, and working with CNC milling machines gave me that oppertunity to do some custom milling. After vectorising some images, some hours spent in mastercam, and some more editing in cimco edit, i've made a few engraving programs to customise the marker.

Using mastercam and cimco edit enabled me to write programs that are compatible with the CNC mills i work with. Then it's just a matter of chucking the part, get the right tool, set the datum and start milling. I did most of the milling during lunch breaks, and after work.

I milled the parts on a vertical milling centre similar to this one. On this one i've ULE-d the wingless tac rail, and the rest was done on the other mill i've been working with the last couple of months. Unfortunatly, i'll start 2008 on a different CNC mill, one with a 13 foot length table in the X axis, and hardly suited for private milling jobs...

The project sofar:

This is what i have sofar. Most of the parts are machined, and ready for anno. But i still have some idea's that i want to do, but i'm not sure yet if i can do this. I want to have this marker anodised before the end of january.

There are some parts missing, but you get the general idea...

Here's a detail pic of the battery casings. They were milled PTP style, and CCCP text added. The standard pack also was engraved with the soldier on it.
After anno the engraving will hardly show, but i've added this for detail, not a bling feature. I'll probably use the PTP pack on it anyway.

To be continued...

Last edited by FiXeL : 12-23-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Contributing Member

Also the rail got some additional milling:

I've milled out slots like on the wingless tac rail, to place my custom jewels. Since i like the wings on a emag rail, i decided to use this one instead of the tac rail. Also note the text engraved on the bottom of the rail.

Also i've engraved a fitting warning label onto the rail. I'll fill out the lines with white paint after i get the marker anodised.

A more readable view.

If you've read the topic about rogue getting banned on AO, you should recognise this... I engraved the RPG Sub-zero feedneck that day, and posted it there because of the irony of it. After anno you probably won't see much of it, but i added it for detail.

Front guard and scope fitted with the sovjet insignias.

Update 12-25-07

I have contacted gruntbull for a anno quote, and even though i did not add all the milling i wanted i'm going ahead and i'll try to ship the parts out this week. I have this project going on for too long now, and adding too much milling could be undesireable. I've cleaned up the rail, because there were some vibrations during milling, and they were clearly visible. So i filed and sanded it smooth, and it should be ready:

It's not sanded perfectly, but there's also no need because the marker will get a dust finish.

Also i've given the original battery pack a new shrinkwrap. I still had some shrinkwrap that i used to crimp 7.2V stickpacks for my RC cars. This turned out to be quite a undertaking due to the fact i do not have a heat gun. I've crimped the pack above the stove, and after 4 attempts i finally succeeded. The first attemt ended up in melting a hole in the shrinkwrap, the second it came out all wrinkled, the third a small hole, and the fourth just a few inperfections that could be repaired with a sigarette lighter.

The next thing i will be tinkering with is how to get these russian stars fitted to my grips....

The stars are a bit rounded like a sphere, and i would like it to be flush with the grips. Maybe i'll heat one up and use that one to melt it into the grips, or i'll cut the shape with a exacto knife.. Not sure yet but we'll see. I have spare stars, but no spare grips.

Update 04-01-2008

Well, in the past few days i did some modification to the reloader i got in for this marker. I've ordered a B, but i received a B2. I'm not so fond of the magnetic lid, but atleast i payed for a normal B loader.

This loader has to fit right in. Not just some loader i would slap on every marker i have, but just for this gun. So the soviet theme should also be seen on the loader aswell. I've searched the net for some images i could use, and to be honest, what i allready had was right on the money.

I've printed out the soviet soldier that also is on one of the battery packs. Next i cutted some vinyl adhesive sheet in double layers and placed this on a special sheet of paper, used for arranging vinyl adhesive letters. Next i used a xacto knife to cut out what i wanted for a mask.

To be continued in the next post.

Last edited by FiXeL : 01-04-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:41 AM

Contributing Member

After i masked off all the bits, i took the shell to work and gave it the glass bead blasting threatment... (i love my job!)

Nothing special.. Just a star and most of the rest of the shell has a nice matte black finish. I didnt like the brand new shinyness of the shell for woodsball play, so i had to come up with something that would be functional, and pleasing to the eye. So i came up with this:

Yep, thats our soviet soldier again, in gloss black, and the rest of the loader in dust. Just the effect i wanted. Also added was the red ano rip drive wheel.

Other side. I was afraid that the masking would not hold against the force of bead blasting, but it turned out very crisp and detailed. Atleast that hour of cutting vinyl by hand wasnt for nothing.

And to top it off, i've got the fitting back panel to boot:

Not a very good pic, but it's the soviet back panel from hybrid. It fits the theme very well, although i rather have it without the agg theme "pride, dont run" and "contract killers"

So far this update... I've allready programmed the part i need to mount the front grip to the battery pack, but i need to mill it yet. Grips i have also been tinkering with, will post pics of those too.

The to-do list

Sure have alot of stuff to do before i can call this marker finished, but i hope everything will be done before march 2008. This will be the main marker i will be playing with for some time, atleast i hope so.

Stuff to do:

- Finishing some parts
- Getting it annoed (shipped out to gruntbull 12-28-07)
- Replace cracked Led screen (A-tach hooked me up with one)
- Replace Magnets (A-tach)
- Replace Emag Sear (Ordered from rogue)
- Adapter for mounting the front guard to the battery (program ready)
- Custom grips?

Thanks for looking!

I'll update this topic when i've made some more progress.

Last edited by FiXeL : 01-04-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM

Contributing Member+

PBL Feedback: 0 / 0%
very cool indeed, im not feeling the red stars but none the less outstanding work.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:41 AM

Contributing Member

I love it very creative and well thoughtout
Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 AM

What a work of art!
I can't wait to see it as a completed project....
Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 AM

Contributing Member

PBL Feedback: 5 / 100%
Since this is a theme gun -- I will say this. But dont none of you take this the wrong way!!!

obviously you are looking for an AK-47 look.. I would say since you have custom metalworking skills, to create a black AK syle stock and stick it on there in an appropriate manner, and route the macroline through it.. you might need to attach it to the rails on the mainbody, and deal with ironsights - which imho would look sexier anyways..

and who can forget the bananna clip? You need to grab a real AK clip, and somehow mount the battery pack inside that imho..

dont know how speedballish you want this gun to be - but I really think you cuold take it far and imho it looks beautiful now as well.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:04 AM

Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpeople View Post
Since this is a theme gun -- I will say this. But dont none of you take this the wrong way!!!

obviously you are looking for an AK-47 look.. I would say since you have custom metalworking skills, to create a black AK syle stock and stick it on there in an appropriate manner, and route the macroline through it.. you might need to attach it to the rails on the mainbody, and deal with ironsights - which imho would look sexier anyways..

and who can forget the bananna clip? You need to grab a real AK clip, and somehow mount the battery pack inside that imho..

dont know how speedballish you want this gun to be - but I really think you cuold take it far and imho it looks beautiful now as well.
Thanks for your comments, but...

I never wanted to have this look like a AK-47. The front grip was placed before i got the emag lowers, and i've adapted it to fit the battery pack. And the reason i adapted it to fit the mag was so i could handle it like a rifle, if needed and never to replicate the look of a AK. The modification was purely functional, and never for looks. And yes, i've thought about making a adapter to place the battery under a angle, to represent a AK magazine more, but i'm not trying for the look. Also i have given a stock a quick thought, but the matter is i hate remote lines, so a bottle_on_gun is the only option for me.

Also a other thing to consider is that i could break the law in the netherlands by making it look like a firearm, which is not allowed. IMHO, i think it's allready over the limit of what would be acceptable, because it allready has that look in a way.

When i started this, i wanted something that would be comfortable and fun to shoot. I only cared about mil-sim realism when i just started playing, and the A5 i had did a very good job at that. Sure, this tac has some mil-sim things about it, but the idea i have with this marker was focussed on functionality, not realism. If i wanted realism, i probably would be playing airsoft. (illegal in the netherlands tho)

Please don't take this the wrong way aswell... Your ideas are great, but i do have to try to keep it legal in my country, and the mil-sim look was not really what i was looking for, maybe a little tho...
Old 12-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Contributing Member

Location: Eyes for your EMAG? Oh yes! PM me for an ACE board. Replacement Xmag ACE boards!
Excellent craftsmanship!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:31 AM

Contributing Member+

Very nice work so far, I love it man, can't wait to see some post ano pics
Old 12-24-2007, 06:26 PM

cool marker

question though, what front tip do you use for the freak back?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Contributing Member+

Wow.. That looks... Amazing...

One dancing banana for you

My Marker does Phone calls, MP3's and Fries
Old 12-24-2007, 07:22 PM

Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTRE184 View Post
cool marker

question though, what front tip do you use for the freak back?
Probably the 16" tactical front as standard, but the 14" AA also fits very nicely. I'll keep that one for a more compact marker if needed, or when i'm not using the front guard.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:51 AM

Contributing Member

PBL Feedback: 2 / 100%
high five -
Old 12-25-2007, 08:39 AM

Contributing Member

PBL Feedback: 4 / 100%
Hey:

You've done some pretty good work-keep it up.

-ClassicMagger
Old 12-26-2007, 09:02 AM

that is freakin amazing looking.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:47 AM

Contributing Member

Thanks for all the great replies!!

I am currently packing up all the parts, and i will try to have them shipped out tomorrow. Only thing is, my black ink cartridge in my printer is empty so i cannot print the order form yet, and i'm out of tape for packing. Ow well, i'll get those first thing tomorrow. I didn't get to do all the milling i wanted, but this could be a good thing, since too much milling will be "over the top" so to say. And i will be starting 2008 on a different mill, that is not really suited for this kind of work because of it's size, and a spindle that can only run 4000 rpm max. But i'm sathisfied with the result sofar, and some gruntbull anno will do the rest.

After i get the parts back its just basicly assembling it and work out the details. I really want this marker to be fully operational in march 2008, so i can play with it again and work out any problems that may occur. Then it will be mowing some germans at the Mahlwinkel biggame in may!

Here's a Mahlwinkel vid:

WARNING!! I have not checked this for any cursing or profound language! View at your own risk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQRGmVBzdbU

Enjoy...
Old 12-26-2007, 11:46 AM

Contributing Member

You might want to contact Tom K or RobAGD and see who did the Marine Corps Coins on my Shark Attack X-Mag grip pannels.

I have the same type of coin size with a dome like shape to it and they actually put the coing IN the pannels.

That and the pannels are colored to match the anno.

Your gun is amazing. Not thats its all colorful and all,.. but just look at the work that goes into something like that.
I get why people enjoy their guns so much. Much more when they do the work to them on their own.

Your blessed with the ability to do the work, on a nice machine, and in a nice shop, with the right knowledge. Props to you bud!

~ P8nt